Attelabus nitens – ink on paper

This drawing was a quick ink sketch I made when I got a new pen. The pen is designed for drawing Manga, but rather than being a dip pen, it’s actually a cartridge pen. Here’s what the nib looks like…

I’ve always thought this would be a good idea. Unfortunately it doesn’t hold a zebra G nib, which would have been perfect, but it does look pretty good.

I found a really cool looking weevil in my Collins Complete Guide to British Insects book…

I though this little dude looked awesome. So I made a sketch…

Unfortunately I went off the page a little bit with his rear right foot!

Then I began to draw with the new pen. I was able to make some great textures and create really small lines too. I did have some trouble keeping the ink flowing and had to dip the pen in water from time to time to help draw the ink out. I wonder if I need to put a flame to the nib to burn off the coating they sometimes have? So for places where I needed jet black ink I used my trusty Microns but most of the rest was all with this manga pen. (I did put in a shadow with pencils.)

Because I’d gone off the page, when I framed the photo of my drawing I added some extra space to deliberately make the weevil look like he was just about to crawl across the paper. I liked this effect. I think I will work more in future on placement and framing. Anyway here’s the final sketch…

This was a good little project to test out my pen but the image was too small for the kind of detail I would like on a picture like this (the weevil is only about 7-8cm long in my drawing). I think I will try to find a way to get the ink to flow properly and then have another go with this pen on a bigger sheet of paper.

The Space Weevil and the Art Problem

This weeks’ art was created using only traditional ink.

It’s a picture of a space weevil called Dave. He has hijacked a prototype spaceship to escape from his home planet after he was mistakenly accused of being a traitor to the realm. The ship is called Angel and turns out to have her own ideas on where they are going!

It really was epically fun to do!

Here are my process photos…

Here is a shot of some of the structural lines I drew to build “Angel”…

These are my basic inks…

And this is the picture with the inks finished, but before I added any toning…

After that I toned the image with a mixture of ink and water.  Here is my finished drawing of Dave and Angel…

I did really enjoy doing this one but, in reviewing it, what stands out to me is that I have very little variety in my textures. It’s either dots or lines. They happen to fit well in this picture because the lines work well for metal and the dots work well for the insectoid’s exoskeleton, but I think I need to work on my textures. In terms of art fundamentals I have line, shape, tone, (no colour because it’s an ink drawing), pattern (in the elements of the ship and the weevil), but minimal texture. Next time I work on an ink drawing I’ll try to improve this.