I carried on working on my elephant oil painting this week.
Going on from my basic pencil outline on the canvas board from last week…
I added what’s called a ‘tonal ground’ – which just means a middling kind of colour, not dark or light. I used burnt umber thinned with my solvent thinner Sansodor. (I would have used raw umber but my set didn’t have any!)
It’s actually more even than this rather poor photo suggests. Then I gave it a day to dry.
Next I used burnt umber again with just Sansador to sketch in some of the main dark areas of my elephants.
And again I gave it another day to dry.
My next job was to paint in either the underpainting or the first layer of the actual finished picture. I had to read up on this before deciding which way I would go.
In the end I decided not to try to do what they call the ‘Flemmish Technique’ second time I’ve painted something in oils – it seemed too advanced. What I wanted was something simple which worked. I do like the idea of doing an underpainting because it helps me work more freely. But I didn’t want it to be too much – just a guide to lights, darks and middles. So instead of that Flemmish thing I just extended my sketch to include some lighter areas. I used underpainting white (for a shorter drying time) mixed with some yellow ochre to give a light brown / creamy colour and then thinned it just a bit with Sansador.
So here’s my completed underpainting…
This is not the finished product – just a guide for the real work which will go on top. (You can also see, I also got hold of some raw umber when I bought the underpainting white. I used this for the shadow under the two animals.)
My next job was to more accurately work out what I want the final painting to look like, so I used my scanned ouline and made a quick and dirty digital painting as a guide for my final colours and tones. I decided to mostly drop out the blues and purples and just go for set of analogous colours – reds oranges, yellows, and browns. My thinking is that this will give the scene the peacefulness I’m after.
Here’s my digital colour study…
So now I’ve just got to paint it for real!!!