I’ve been working through the paperwork necessary to move home over the last few days so I’ve not been able to concetrate on painting in the same way I normally do. Today I did an experiment with masking fluid. I’ve not used it before and I wanted ot see what it’s like so I decided to do a simple seascape of the moon sitting low over the sea. It’s not so much a painting as an experiment.
I began with some structural lines and developed them into a simple sketch to support my painting:
Then I painted on the masking fluid with an old brush I don’t use for painting anymore. This was trickier than I expected – the fluid is all gloopy and doesn’t flow properly.
Then came the good bit – doing a colourful wash for the sea and sky:
I tried to make the sky smoother and the sea with more visible horizontal strokes. Then I had a nice cup of tea while the whole thing dried off.
Once it was dry I rubbed the masking fluid and it came off. It’s a bit like removing dried PVA glue but not as sticky or as solid.
Then I painted the moon. I tried to follow the real dark and light pattern on our actual moon but the paint did what it wanted so it wasn’t very accurate. Here’s the result:
As soon as I’d finished I could see errors in my picture. I’m going to list those I can remember here:
- Colours at the horizon should get less intense not more.
- Colour near the horizon should get lighter, not darker.
- If I’d have picked up the white highlights in the sea and joined them to painted ripples it could have been much more effective.
- If I’d have painted a small boat sillouette near the top right of the moon’s reflection I think it would have turned a boring picture into something a bit more effective. I think having something out there would kind of draw the viewer into the scene much more.
All of that said I did learn a lot with this one! 🙂